Sunday 20 March 2011

Japanese Earthquake Zine - Final Spreads

 These are the final spreads of my zine. I originally did my zine on a black and white photocopier but it made everything much harder to make out so I did a colour version instead. These are the front covers of both as well as a spread showing the back and front spread.


 I then went to some establishing shots, I tried to show 3 of the main areas I edited, dividing the page up in thirds as I didn't want a page for every scene. I then took the images of the reverberations and showed two stages of the shaking starting and getting worse. I didn't split the page evenly to give a more chaotic feel.


 I then showed the groceries flying everywhere and the shaking stairs which then leads to a double page spread of the crack going up the stairs.


 I put the collages of the street in a wreck and the church crumbling together and then lead to the most chaotic images of the fires and floods. I wanted the most expressive pieces to be towards the end.


 In the black and white version of my zine this piece was the final page before the gravestone as I wanted a bit of calm, just showing the water in the city. However in the crit it was said that it was hard to make out what was happening in this image so I removed it for the colour version.

  

I'm hoping the colour version is clearer, if it isn't another idea I had was to put quotes from newspapers but I wanted to avoid this as I wanted the audience to reflect on the images without text. One idea might be to put a page at the front with quotes and then go into the images, maybe having the scenes of calm before this.I feel I should have also focused on a clearer narrative and more noticeable stages, I started to show graduation from calm to the shaking, destruction, the fire and flooding and finally the gravestone but I could have made these stages clearer. I could also have considered the use of different media as I think using oil pastel towards the end was effective and I think I should have worked on slowly changing how much I edited and what I edited with. I was hoping the title of 8.9 was clear enough, which may be the case this close to the incident but when there's been a greater gap including the word 'magnitude' might help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment