Saturday 15 January 2011

Research into Paper Art - Cut Outs

Now I'm looking at ways artists cut paper to create their pieces.

Aoyama Hina:

An example of how paper can be cut so that it resembles lace


Emma Van Leest:

I liked her use of cut outs to create shadows as well as layering cut outs on top of each other using different colours - combines pattern with some depth.


Anastassia Elias:

Shows how you can create something beautiful using simple materials. I love the depth and the portable nature of these pieces. Its also clever how two separate pieces can link together but also work on their own.


Bovey Lee:

I liked the influence of chinese art in the pieces. She uses rice paper, which relates to the subject and is sustainable.


Catherine Hammerton:

Cuts out of wallpaper to add extra dimension.


Floortje Fluitsma:

Cut out internal parts of the body using paper and then applied them to the body. Interesting to see the inside on the outside, a way of applying paper to things.


Ingrid Siliakus:

Using cut outs to create 3D architecture, links with my work as I'm thinking of linking my paper work to Mayan and Aztec civilizations so a similar approach could be taken with the Aztec pyramids.


Peter Callesen:

Always uses a single sheet of paper, I like that you can see the negative shape of what creates the model and how this is manipulated in the tree and skeleton piece.



Simone Lourenco:

Uses layers of coloured paper, cutting through to expose the colours below while creating textures on the surface. I really liked the contrast of colours and the patterns within the piece.




Another Stephanie Beck piece, showing an urban area using cut out paper. You can tell what it is but there is also a beauty to the shape and lines without its context.


Yuken Teruya:

Another artist using usual materials such as toilet roll. Like with Peter Callesen I like the negative of where the branch shapes have been cut. The recycling of toilet rolls also relates to the environmental aspect of my project.



No comments:

Post a Comment